Man there is a lot of heat in the 40+ category this year!
Garth, Wes, John, Bruce...all super fast!
I'm hoping I've got a chance to touch the wood
today...that's stand on the podium in common parlance. It's gonna be tough with
all these fast guys though.
Here is a video recap:
This morning at 9:00am we kicked off the 1st stage of this
years Pisgah Stage Race. Thankfully a certain Toronto team was not here to
force a sprint on the road
prologue. A nice civilized warm up on the highway to Turkey
Pen Road.
Turkey Pen came soon enough and that's when things get real.
We charged the gravel towards the 1st descent. The 1st descent is no joke with
water bars, some small
drops, and classic Pisgah character. I bombed down it and
gained positions I had lost on the gravel. Soon we crossed a suspension bridge
and started up Mullinax which led to a lengthy and technical ride on one of the
tightest trails in Pisgah. I really like riding Squirrel Gap in this direction.
I gained a few spots on the last 3rd of Squirrel chasing
down Bruce. At the turn for the climb up Horse Cove, Popeye gave directions...
and I ascended.
Garth Passed me back on Funnel top and I would not see him
again till I finished.
A quick stop at the aid station and I hammered some water on
the way to the climb up Buckhorn. I knew I needed extra hydration to avoid the
cramps on the hike a bike
up Black Mountain. Buckhorn was long and mild as far as climbs
go, but the real punishment awaited on Black. I sure which I could hike
faster...
Finally, after what seemed like an endless series of hike a
bike sections, the real challenge began. The descent on upper black is totally
blown out. There is a 3 foot ravine with "holes within holes" (Brad
quote) and I wiggled down as much as I bombed. I smacked my wide bars and
almost bought the farm but managed to save it. This is one descent that I think
everyone is gad when it's finished.
Now the last section of the Stage! Up and over lower Black
Mountain, and it's a timed enduro section. The short but steep climbing section
is killing me because I know I'm losing a lot of time here. I'm just trying to
keep my legs from cramping.
Finally, the big descent down Lower Black and home to the
finish. What a fun day of riding.
Cheers!

No comments:
Post a Comment